From TheChels.info - The Chelsea Football Club WikiStamford Bridge stadium. It forms part of the Fulham Road (A304), and gives its name to a London Underground station and shopping centre.
Fulham Broadway Underground station is on the Wimbledon branch of the District Line. It is between West Brompton and Parsons Green stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
The station was opened as Walham Green on 1 March 1880 when the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) extended its line south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge.
The original station building was replaced in 1905 with a new entrance designed by Harry W Ford to accommodate crowds for the newly built Stamford Bridge stadium. It is now a Grade II listed building.
The name was changed to its current form on 2 March 1952 after representations from Fulham Chamber of Commerce.
In 2003 the street-level station building was closed and a new entrance was opened within the adjacent Fulham Broadway shopping centre. The shopping centre has the motto "Life Begins At Fulham Broadway". The centre was partly built above what were the previously open-air sections of the platforms and the station facilities were improved to provide full wheelchair accessibility and to again improve the management of football crowds. The old station building was refurbished and has been occupied since 2005 by a T.G.I. Friday's restaurant. It retains many of the original station signs and architectural features.
Underground and rail stations
- Fulham Broadway (London Underground: District Line)
- As of 17 January 2010.
- 11 (towards Liverpool Street)
- 14 (towards Putney Heath and Warren Street)
- 28 (towards Kensal Rise and Wandsworth)
- 211 (towards Hammersmith and Waterloo)
- 295 (towards Clapham Junction and Ladbroke Grove)
- 391 (towards Richmond and Sands End)
- 414 (towards Maida Hill and Putney Bridge)
- 424 (towards Fulham and Putney Heath)
- N11 (Night bus: towards Ealing Broadway and Liverpool Street)
- N28 (Night bus: towards Camden Town and Wandsworth)
Fulham Broadway is well served by pubs, restaurants and shops. Pubs located on Fulham Broadway, or within the Fulham Broadway shopping centre, include:
- London's Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- Map & Walking Directions
|Earl's Court • Fulham Broadway • Imperial Wharf • Parsons Green • West Brompton • West Kensington|